Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Of Magic, Tricks, Hope & Despair...

Yesterday, I could be on top of the world. Had a very good day, which has been unheard of for quite a while. Met my new colleague, Antonin, who is French *sigh*, but he was such a big help with the deliveries, I shouldn't complain, really. The day passed by pretty quickly in the shop, and in the evening, we were visited by one of the magicians who performs outside on the piazza and was lucky enough to be entertained by a few magic tricks. I even got a gold chocolate coin for participation! (: I felt like a child all over again, mouth agape, clapping, and being so amazed, I don't think I've ever come so close as to have a magician(who is also french, unfortunately...) perform for me!
In between cramps, 'mad cow disease' and the long wait for the bus that almost froze me to death, the little things that have happened throughout the course of the day have sufficed to keep me in good spirits- like the tricks, the funny conversations and the long email that I received which I throughly enjoyed reading (thanks Zaihan!).

But today, TODAY is a different story. Upon realization that it IS Hari Raya Aidilfitri- Selamat Hari Raya semua kawan kawan, minta maaf ya, sorry la, tahun ini tak jadi balik juga.... ):
I feel like a big chunk of me is missing, my family, the first meal we have together, my mother's home cooking, the pineapple tarts that I'll never taste and the round of celebration, visiting with my friends and the chaos that comes with it, dressing up in brand new clothes which all of us wear for only this occassion, the colourful exchange of culture, hailing a cab in the hot weather wearing silks from head to toe, the customary tokens of money that we non-working people get....etc etc.... I couldn't be more depressed about it. It's the equivalent of not being home for Christmas dinner.

So in despair, my phone will be switched off, as I can't bear the greetings that I might get from family and fellow friends from home- I'm apologise in advance if you get no reply, but I'll just make my way into the depths of my bed and hope I drown in the covers....this day should be one of celebrating, but what's to celebrate when there isn't anyone to celebrate with?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home