Thursday, July 14, 2005

It's Been A Week Since...

The bombings on Thursday. An experience I will never forget. Although I was not close enough to feel the whole impact of the reality of the bombings, it was a close enough brush with it to leave me shaken for awhile. I started off the day, as usual, working, but we decided that it was a little quiet in central London for a Thursday morning. I just thought my stupid phone was acting up, when I tried to text Yuko to tell her that I would be late- the traffic was horrible(something I overlooked as well), turns out that it was the slow beginnings of a bigger event that was to loom on London. Someone who used to work at the shop called us, advising us to check with Mr Basil(the big boss) if we could shut the shop, since 6 bombs have already gone off all around central London. You can imagine the shock we were in when we heard it! We did our best not to panic, but it's hard when even calling your loved ones to check they're okay is almost impossible, with the network being down as well. After several attempts, got in touch with Paolo, my parents(who were freaking out, and were freaking me out in the process..geez..that sure didn't help!), my friends...decided a plan of action and set myself up mentally for the long journey home-by foot. Imagine, from zone 1 to zone 3. Seesh..

Met up with Paolo on the Waterloo Bridge, making sure we're all in one piece...a quick hug and reassurance, in the pouring rain,..and since there was no way he could get out of work (seeing that he works 5 mins from where they had bombed Liverpool St Station), my heart was constantly in jitters. As for me, I trudged slowly in the rain, cold, drenched and tired. Thank you for all your texts and emails, my friends...Nothing could have made my day better, knowing that people far away do care. As I said, life's back to normal now, except for the families of the victims of the bombings and those injured severely. My heart goes out to them. The news is still making headlines, while the people who were supposedly responsible for the monsterous acts are under investigation. It has been a bleak week, indeed.

dust
*Alas, all that is left of the day is dust/sand/debri in my jeans...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home